The licensing staff at Newry, Mourne and Down District Council engaged with Tascomi in pioneering and developing an innovative Mobile Licensing App to enable Officers to carry out their work using mobile technology.
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council sought to replace their existing Licensing process with a modern, integrated and mobile solution that would administrate and manage the core functions;
- With inspections, records administration and resulting data-processing forming an integral part of a licensing officer’s remit, being able to access, accumulate and administer data in an efficient manner is important.
- A typical day involves multiple site visits, requiring all relevant data and historical Inspection records to be at hand. As a result the Licensing officer had to carry a large number of files and associated paperwork from the office, which was both cumbersome and a potential data security risk.
- Finding methods to achieve a more efficient use of time was also important in the current climate of economic austerity where resources have to be streamlined.
- All Local Government departments across the country are striving to find clever ways to save costs yet maintain excellent and improved services to citizens.
- The Environment, Health & Building Services Department of Newry and Mourne District Council had achieved accreditation in ISO 14001 Environmental Management standard and under the STEM project, the Council have five Council-wide objectives, including ‘USE LESS stationery and other resources’. Each department has to demonstrate their strategy in complying with STEM objectives.
- The Licensing department, predominantly used paper, with significant postage and printing costs. Solutions were therefore sought to reduce the necessity of a paper-based system and to develop an effective and efficient customer service.
- The licensing staff at Newry, Mourne and Down District Council engaged with Tascomi in pioneering and developing an innovative Mobile App to enable Officers to carry out their work using mobile technology.
Having achieved success developing mobile applications for other Tascomi web-based software applications, the opportunity to utilise this expertise, whilst helping to make a significant difference to the Council’s business model, was welcomed by Tascomi. It is testament to the partnering approach used by Tascomi, that both parties worked so well together to come up with an application that delivers tangible and substantial results for Newry, Mourne and Down District Council.
After a period of consultation, design and development, the resulting solution was deployed to the Licensing Team in January 2012. The results have far exceeded initial expectations, radically transforming the day-to-day workflow in the Licensing Department and significantly reducing paper output.